Installing MetaTrader 4 / MetaTrader 5 on Mac OS is made in 2 steps:
- Install Wine, a piece of free software that allows programs like MetaTrader 4, which were written for Windows, to run on a Mac.
- Install MetaTrader with the help of Wine.
Please note: Wine, like much freeware, has no guarantee of absolute stability. Some functions in the applications you run under it may not work correctly, or at all.
To get MetaTrader to work on the Mac, we recommend using PlayOnMac, which is based on Wine.
Installing PlayOnMac. Step by Step Instructions.
- Firstly, head over to the developers website and download the latest version of PlayOnMac from the Downloads section.
- After downloading the package, launch it from the Downloads section of your system:
- Once you launch the program a window will appear. Click "Next" and the installer will get to work, checking your system for all the necessary components.
- The first component that PlayOnMac will install is XQuartz. This is a piece of software for using the X Window Systemon Mac OS. If you have XQuartz, then click "I've downloaded the file by myself", or if you want to install it by yourself later on click "Don't install XQuartz for the moment".
- XQuartz is installed in several steps. Before anything else, you should check through the Read Me file and accept the license conditions.
- Before the installation, Mac OS will ask you to confirm the installation by entering your account details:
- Wait for the installation to complete and then restart your PC.
- After restarting the system, launch PlayOnMac. The first launch window will appear again. The program will now offer to install the MS Windows fonts needed for MetaTrader.
- Accept the license agreement and wait for the installation to complete. Once the PlayOnMac main window appears, it's ready for you to use.
Installing MetaTrader 4 / MetaTrader 5 on Mac OS. Step by Step Instructions.
- To install MetaTrader 4, download. the distribution package from the Alpari site. You can do this from within myAlpari. After the download is complete, launch the setup file. PlayOnMac will be used automatically to open it.
- The installation will go through a number of stages:
- When the installation is complete, PlayOnMac will offer to create shortcuts for the MetaTrader trading terminal and the MetaEditor:
- Congratulations! Now you can use MetaTrader on your Mac. Just double click on it in the PlayOnMac window.
MetaTrader 4 Data Directory
PlayOnMac creates a separate virtual logical drive for every installed program. The default path of the terminal's data folder is:
Library\PlayOnMac\WinePrefix\Client_Terminal_\Drive C\Program Files\Client Terminal
Updating Wine. Step by Step Instructions.
- When you install PlayOnMac, Wine is installed automatically.
Wine should be periodically updated to the latest version. To do this, open the PlayOnMac upper menu and select "Manage Wine Versions":
- A window will open up, showing which updated versions are available to download. Select the latest version and move it to the right hand side of the window, the installation will now begin.
- After the installation is complete, the new version of Wine will appear in the left part of the "PlayOnMac Wine Versions Manager" window. Now you are ready to install the MetaTrader 4 trading terminal on your Mac.